Being the principal port in Bangladesh, Chittagong has been playing a vital role for the economic development of the country. The traffic through the port has been increasing with the economic development, as well as development of the port facilities. To meet the increased flow of cargoes in and out of the port the Chittagong Port Authority has since 1985 and until 1990 undertaken 8 development projects for expansion and further development of the port.
1. Chittagong Port Trade Facilitation Project (CPA Component).
2. Construction of Back-up facilities for NCT berths No. 4 & 5.
3. Capital Dredging and Bank Protection Work with jetty facilities in Karnaphuli River from 3rd karnaphuli bridge to Sadarghat jetty.
4. Installation of Vessel Traffic Management Information System (VTMIS).
5. Procurement of One high Power Tug Boat (4500 BHP).
6. Procurement of one Sea Going Water Supply Vessel.
7. Replacement of River Mooring No. 4 by Dolphin Jetty.
8. Installation of surface water Treatment plant.
9. Procurement of 29 Nos.Container and Cargo handling equipment.
10. Feasibility Study and design for the Construction of Karnaphuly Container Terminal (KCT).
11. Procurement of one Modern Survey Boat with Multibeam Echo Sounder.
12. Construction of CPA Hospital Complex in place of existing Hospital.
13. Procurement of three Reconditioned Container Vessels to ply Chittagong-Pangaon Route.
14. Repair and Renovation of 1200 for Slipway and workshop.