BIMCO and Fathom have published an updated 2016 edition of their practical, step-by-step guidance publication that helps shipowners understand ballast water management requirements.
In response to the recent ratification of the International Convention for the Control and Management of Ships' Ballast Water and Sediments (Ballast Water Management Convention), BIMCO and Fathom Maritime Intelligence have published an updated 2016 edition of their practical, step-by-step guidance publication that helps shipowners understand ballast water management requirements.
This guide, originally published in December 2013 with Fathom, provides holistic practical guidance that covers all facets of ballast water management compliance. In addition, it outlines the systems available to the market with specific regard to the treatment technology and their type approval status.
The International Convention for the Control and Management of Ships' Ballast Water and Sediments (BWM Convention) will enter into force on 8 September 2017, requiring ships to be fitted with approved treatment systems to prevent the spread of invasive species via ballast water.
It is imperative that shipowners act upon ensuring compliance with the convention’s rules immediately and this updated guide will serve to equip them with all the necessary information and tools to navigate through regulatory demands and practical challenges with confidence.
Captain Peter Lundahl Rasmussen, who is Senior Marine Technical Officer at BIMCO, commented:
“One of the biggest challenges for owners is how to ensure a smooth transition to compliance with the upcoming Ballast Water Management Convention – and to see continued profitability in trade for their fleets”.
“They can do this by selecting adequate and compliant ballast water management systems suitable for the individual ships and trades – or other alternative means”.
“The Shipowner’s Guide provides unbiased and comprehensive information on the options for compliance with the new regulations”.
Catherine Austin, Executive Director, Fathom Maritime Intelligence commented:
“Since the release of the 2013 guide, the ballast water treatment technology market has evolved significantly. With the significant investment required by owners in order to ensure compliance, it is more important than ever that concise and independently sourced information is available to owners and operators so they can steer through regulatory challenges with confidence”.
Ballast Water Management: The Shipowner’s Guide is available to pre-order now and save 25% via Fathom Maritime Intelligence.
Notes to editors
About Ballast Water Management: The Shipowner’s Guide
The guide gives shipowners and operators full understanding of how ballast water management regulations and options affect their operations. It provides full insight, comprehensive guidance and practical tools for decision-making and implementation, including:
- regulatory requirements and what they mean
- a technical breakdown of all available ballast water treatment technology
- key practical considerations - planning for compliance
- installation considerations (newbuilding and retrofit)
- step-by-step guide to complying with the convention
- a review of all providers and system, with their type approval status.
- BIMCO is the world’s largest international shipping association, with 2,200 members globally.
- We provide a wide range of services to our global membership – which includes shipowners, operators, managers, brokers and agents.
- BIMCO’s core objective is to facilitate the commercial operations of our members by developing standard contracts and clauses, and providing quality information, advice and education.
- BIMCO promotes fair business practices, free trade and open access to markets and we are a strong advocate for the harmonisation and standardisation of all shipping related activity.
- BIMCO actively promotes the application of globally agreed regulatory instruments – we are accredited as a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) with all relevant United Nations agencies and other regulatory entities.
About Fathom Maritime Intelligence
Fathom pride themselves as being the information specialists on maritime efficiency. Through a unique mix of highly regarded print publications, online data portals, conferences, bespoke consultancy and more, Fathom creates accessible knowledge on key challenges facing owners, operators and the wider industry, through identifying where information voids exist for specialist insight, guidance and decision support services to assist in and inform decision making.
Fathom has published a range of technical publications to serve the thirst for knowledge in the industry, including ‘Ship Efficiency: The Guide’ ‘Ballast water Management: The Guide’ ‘The Step-By-Step SEEMP Manual’ and ‘Emission Control Areas: The Guide’ amongst many others. www.fathommaritimeintelligence.com