Water ballast treatment in Chilean ports all vessels coming from abroad ballasted with sea water, must renew her ballast at least one time before arrival to Chilean ports, and at a distance of not less than 12 nautical miles from shore, being this procedure registered in the deck and engine log books, detailing the following data:
- place geographical coordinates where it was carried out the operation.
- volume quantity of water renewed and percentage with respect to the total ballast capacity.
- date/time when it was carried out the operation of change of ballast.
For a better understanding please note that the below quoted new resolution dated 8 September 1999 issued by Maritime Authority regarding the ballast treatment of vessels arriving to Chilean waters which states the prohibition, of the entrance to Chilean ports to all vessels coming from abroad which have not changed her ballast water at a distance of not less than 12 nm from the coast. As well, this resolution states that masters must deliver to maritime authorities the "ballast water reporting form" which is attached to this message.
Similar procedure must follow national and foreign vessels in their navigation between national ports and particularly in the channel´s navigation.
In case vessels have not proceed in accordance with the stated procedure, port operations shall be stopped and the vessel taken 12 nm offshore.
1. The need to reduce to the minimum the risks of introduction of aquatic pathogen organism to national ports by inbound vessels.
2. The IMO resolution a.868(20) dated 27 November 1997 regarding the directions for the control of the ballast water in order to reduce to the minimum the transference of aquatic pathogen organism.
3. That, on the other hand, the above mentioned resolution requests to take the urgent measures for applying the directions to be used for reducing to the minimum the risks of introduction of aquatic pathogen organism and to communicate to the maritime environment protecting committee the experience gotten.
4. That in any moment it must be considered the vessel´s safety.
Resolve the following:
1. From the date of validity of this resolution the access to national waters shall be prohibited to any vessel with her ballast water not changed offshore at a distance not less than 12 nm from the coast being this procedure in accordance with what it is recommended in the IMO resolution a. 868(20).
2. Upon arrival to Chilean ports, before to proceed unballasting operation, masters must present to the local maritime authority the ballast water reporting form.
3. National and foreign vessels sailing between any port of the Chilean coast, must adopt the corresponding measures for changing, depending of the safety conditions, all or part of the total ballast water embarked in the previous port and to be pumped out in the next port, which procedure must be done as far as possible from the coast, however not altering the normal route of the vessel.
4. The vessels sailing inland seas in the south of the country must change all her ballast water whenever her ballast water does not be the same of the umpumping place. Such change must be done in high water running and fast water exchange flow. Far from narrow bays and channels.
5. Each vessel ballasted must establish safe procedures of water exchange in order to reduce to the minimum the transference of aquatic pathogen organism not jeopardizing the safety of the crew and the vessel.
6. The shipyards or dry docks which due to their activities participate in the handling of mud sediments of the ballast tanks must dispose reception facilities or the due treatment for the elimination, in the best environmental way, of such rests which to empty in the sea is strictly prohibited.
7. In case the captain of the vessel could not fulfill with the operation of ballast change in accordance with the above described requirements or could not attest that such procedure was duly fulfilled or that maritime authority detected some abnormality in the water ballast, the authority shall order her immediately stoppage of the unballast operation and the vessel´s departure from the port for renewing her ballast 12 nm offshore in accordance with the procedure stated, otherwise the vessel´s entrance in the port will be not accepted.
In accordance with the above, the "ballast water reporting form" must be presented to authorities of each Chilean port duly filled in.