Clean ballast water may be pumped out in the inner anchorage or at berth, but spilling over quayside and/or deballasting dirty waters is subject to very heavy fines and detention of the vessel.
The main points to be observed are as follows:
- ballast exchange to be performed at least 200 miles far from coast and min 200m depth.
- ballast exchange is obligatory for all ships engaged in commercial navigation between distinct hydrographic basins, maritime and fluvial ports.
- brazilian maritime authority accepts ballast exchange by the flwng methods: sequential (100pct), continuous flow (200pct) and braz dilution method (300pct).
- ballast water form (see form attached) to be filled up by vessel and returned to the agency in time to be delivered to local harbour master max 48 hours (commercial time) prior ships arrival. Different forms will not be accepted.
- vessel must have on board international ballast water management plan
- its implementation (if any)
- imo ballast water guidelines can be required upon berthing turn
- vessel can be visited by harbour officer for inspection
Fines shall be imposed in case of non compliance of full ballast exchange as above.
Special cases to be analyzed by harbour master/navy dept case by case.
Brazilian navy dept has informed that as from july 01st 2006, all vessels must have on board relevant ballast management plan duly implemented/approved by class society of ships flag port authority, otherwise heavy fines will be applied.